Scripture Accessibility Assistant
Added: December 1, 2023
Department: Information Technology
Location: Orlando, FL (preferred)
Report to: Scripture Accessibility Director
Peers: Other Scripture Access Team members
Job Status: Hourly, Modified Part-Time to Full-Time
Download PDF with More Details
Who you are
First, you're a committed Christian who knows the power of scripture and desires to see God's word in the hands of people worldwide. You're also a capable helper, comfortable working on details, able to complete tasks on your own. You'd like to bring your skill and expertise to a team of professionals working in ministry to bring the Bible to every nation, people, and language.
You enjoy a job well done. You appreciate the fellowship of Christian brothers and sisters, drawn together to translate and share God's word. You have a heart for seeing completed Bibles going to print. You have a desire to help complete "the last mile" of Bible Translation. You have a long history of completed projects, and can articulate the lessons learned in making them successful.
Who we are
Our team is a group of Software Developers, Dev Ops engineers, Infrastructure Techs, and Support People, working at a growing non-profit that is helping to make the Bible available to everyone, everywhere. You can learn more about our organization at https://wycliffeassociates.org/. This is the kind of place that rewards intensity, ambition, drive, and creativity.
Wycliffe Associates is a Christian ministry, and our mission of Bible translation is a special calling. Wycliffe Associates trains Christians all over the world to become Bible translators and we seek to safeguard the integrity of the Scriptures through that process. While specific skills and experience are a major part of this role, what is most important to Wycliffe Associates, and to the Lord, is a person's heart. The person who fills this role should have a special calling from the Lord for ministry. In this role you will be considered a minister of the gospel. For such a high calling, our lives and values should reflect that pure and holy calling. As we are told in 1 Peter 1: 15-16, But just as He who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do, for it is written: Be holy, because I am holy.
The job you'll do
You'll work with dozens of people directly supporting Mother-Tongue Bible Translators all over the world. Some days you'll be doing desktop publishing, preparing scripture for print. Other days you'll be uploading and cataloguing deaf sign-language Bible files. And other days you might be training people in Africa, Asia, or beyond, on Zoom or Teams. In all of it, your rigorous attention to detail will help translators successfully bring their Bibles to fruition.
What we'll do for you
We’ll give you a place where you can use your skills to invest in your team, improve yourself, and serve the global church in a meaningful way.
- Paid education and training
- Paid certification attempts (pass or fail)
- Two weeks paid vacation to start, plus paid holidays
- Health Insurance for you and your family
- 1 Paid conference per year
Position Summary: The Scripture Accessibility Assistant supports the Scripture Accessibility team in producing finalized scripture products (Bibles, Scripture Apps, etc.) from translation files and assets. The Scripture Accessibility Assistant helps with various preparatory and production tasks as assigned by the Director, including converting and checking scripture files, preparing finished files for printing, some graphic design, and serving as a liaison between field translation teams and printing vendors.
- Assist the team director in converting and preparing files for print and digital distribution.
- Work with content teams to move translation work through the pipeline to accessibility and affirm it is accessible. Assess and resolve issues with access to translations on the Wycliffe Associates Content Server Reader and Bibleineverylanguage.org.
- Assist in converting translated scripture to USFM files and containers. Prepare Android apps with Scripture App Builder and/or prepare print-ready Bible files as requested by translation teams.
- Prepare, organize, and publish digital media files for audio and video translations.
- Provide training to field staff in the use of accessibility tools such as PTXprint or Scripture App Builder.
- Help ensure that appropriate CC BY-SA 4.0 licensing statements are used in published scripture and resource products.
- Coordinate with the Translation Services division in the effort of encouraging translation through accessibility.
- Coordinate collection of data about scriptures printed and digital scripture usage.
- These duties are not exclusive and with consideration of your job duties and other skills, this job description can be added to or taken away from at the discretion of the Vice President of Information Technology.
Personal and Professional Qualifications
The ideal candidate possesses knowledge and experience in both Scripture Publishing and Technology. Recognizing that this blend of skills is uncommon, we are happy to entertain candidates with experience in either Scripture Publishing or Technology in a ministry context.
- B.A. or B.S. degree in missions, ministry, technology, linguistics, or equivalent related job experience desired.
- Technical proficiency in Office 365 applications required. Experience working with desktop publishing to produce print-ready PDFs preferred.
- Competency with digital file management.
- Aptitude for learning software and applications.
- Ability to work effectively with a virtual team. Ability to work diligently without immediate supervision. Able to complete tasks on time with a high degree of accuracy.
- Able to collaborate with technical people providing general direction and guidance.
- Personal relationship with Jesus Christ and live a life in full alignment with our statement of Core Beliefs.
- Has signed an acceptance and acknowledgment of the Wycliffe Associates statement of faith and doctrinal statements.
- Should sense a call from God to ministry and have a genuine caring for people.
- Should have personal warmth that invites confidence and possess a personal integrity that never forfeits the trust that is offered.
- Ability to be at ease with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Demonstrate the attitudes of a servant leader.
- Able to delegate work to others. Able to facilitate and coordinate the work of others.
- Highly self-motivated and directed. Keen attention to detail.
- Able to communicate effectively in oral and written form.
- Able and desire to learn new technologies, improve skills, and adapt to change.
- Able to establish effective working relationships with staff at Wycliffe Associates, and other partner organizations.
- Able to follow accounting practices established by Wycliffe Associates.
Wycliffe Associates makes employment decisions in accordance with applicable federal and state employment laws and regulations. As a religious organization, we are entitled to make employment decisions on the basis of religious beliefs and practices of the applicant or employee.