Tech Advancment Director
Added: January 11, 2023
Department: Information Technology
Location: Orlando, FL
Report to: Vice President Information Technology
Peers: Application Development Director, Infrastructure Director, Internship Director, Scripture Accessibility Director
Exemption Status: Exempt
Download PDF with More Details
Who you are
First, you're a committed Christian who wants to use your technical skills to serve the Lord. You're also a seasoned team leader, with international skills sharpened by many years of experience. You'd like to bring your expertise and knowledge to a team of professionals working in ministry to bring the Bible to every nation, people, and language.
You love to travel the world. You appreciate the fellowship of Christian brothers and sisters, drawn together to translate and share God's word. You have a heart for mentorship and love helping your teammates grow in their career and faith. You love to share about your work to recruit new people onto the team. You have a long history of completed projects, and can articulate the lessons learned in making them successful.
Who we are
Our team is a group of Software Developers, Dev Ops engineers, Infrastructure Techs, and Support People, working at a growing non-profit that is helping to make the Bible available to everyone, everywhere. You can learn more about our organization at https://wycliffeassociates.org/. This is the kind of place that rewards intensity, ambition, drive, and creativity.
Wycliffe Associates is a Christian ministry, and our mission of Bible translation is a special calling. Wycliffe Associates trains Christians all over the world to become Bible translators and we seek to safeguard the integrity of the Scriptures through that process. While specific skills and experience are a major part of this role, what is most important to Wycliffe Associates, and to the Lord, is a person's heart. The person who fills this role should have a special calling from the Lord for ministry. In this role you will be considered a minister of the gospel. For such a high calling, our lives and values should reflect that pure and holy calling. As we are told in 1 Peter 1: 15-16, But just as He who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do, for it is written: Be holy, because I am holy.
The job you'll do
You'll lead a dozen people directly supporting Mother-Tongue Bible Translators all over the world. You'll travel overseas a couple times a year to experience to reality of translating scripture in the hardest places -- places without consistent electricity, internet, and sometimes food or water. You'll understand the software tools and systems that Wycliffe Associates provides, so that you can provide feedback to our team's developers. You'll also help to cast vision and recruit new team members into Tech Advance. You'll have the responsibility and authority for shaping the work of Tech Advance to best help reach the vision of "A Bible in Every Language."
What we'll do for you
We’ll give you a place where you can use your skills to invest in your team, improve yourself, and serve the global church in a meaningful way.
- Paid education and training
- Paid certification attempts (pass or fail)
- Two weeks paid vacation to start, plus paid holidays
- Health Insurance for you and your family
- 1 Paid conference per year
Position Summary: The Director of Tech Advance oversees the operations of the Tech Advance and Print on Demand departments, providing direction and leadership to the teams. This position will be responsible for leading a team of highly skilled individuals in providing technology solutions and services that accelerate the advancement of Bible translation.
- Establishes departmental goals and objectives based on the organization’s strategic initiatives and priorities. These initiatives include MAST, DOT, and all other Bible translation activities offered by WA.
- Oversees technological research and development in providing new tools and services to advance the organization’s strategic initiatives and priorities.
- Oversees departmental planning to achieve goals.
- Oversees reporting for all departments in Tech Advance.
- Oversees the budget preparation for all departments in Tech Advance.
- Oversees departmental operations and ensures that they function with budgetary limits.
- Manages staff, including, supervision, development, and evaluation.
- Promotes an attitude of service.
- Provides reports on departmental performance.
- Works on other tasks and projects as directed by the VP of Information Technology.
Personal and Professional Qualifications
- Have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and live a life in full alignment with our Core Beliefs.
- Should sense a call from God to ministry and have a genuine caring for people.
- Should have personal warmth that invites confidence and possess a personal integrity that never forfeits the trust that is offered.
- Ability to be at ease with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Demonstration of the attitudes of a servant leader.
- Ability to delegate work to others.
- Ability to facilitate and coordinate the work of others.
- Highly self-motivated and directed.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written form.
- Ability to work effectively with a virtual team.
- Has reliable transportation and can keep commitments.
- Ability and desire to learn new technologies, improve skills, and adapt to change.
Education, prior work experience, and/or specialized skills and knowledge:
- B.A. or B.S. degree in technology or business administration is desired.
- Experience managing and/or directing staff.
- Experience working in non-profit organizations desirable.
- Ability to manage in a changing environment.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and lead a team.
- Ability to communicate effectively both in verbal and written form.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Experience in budgeting and report writing is desirable.
Wycliffe Associates makes employment decisions in accordance with applicable federal and state employment laws and regulations. As a religious organization, we are entitled to make employment decisions on the basis of religious beliefs and practices of the applicant or employee.