Software Developer I
Added: April 1, 2022
Department: Information Technology
Location: Orlando, FL
Report to: Application Development Director
Peers: Application Developers
Exemption Status: Exempt
Download PDF with More Details
Who you are
First, you're a committed Christian who wants to use your technical skills to serve the Lord. You're also a software developer who loves to learn, and you're looking for an opportunity to start sharpening your skills in a fast-paced, ministry-minded environment. You're quick to pick up new software languages, frameworks, and designs. You want to work with a team to build working software that gets deployed to the mission field and makes a difference. You'd love the opportunity to be mentored by a more experienced engineer. You're willing to put in the work to see a project through to completion. You've got a few examples of the kind of work you're capable of.
Who we are
Wycliffe Associates is a Christian ministry, and our mission of Bible translation is a special calling. Wycliffe Associates trains Christians all over the world to become Bible translators and we seek to safeguard the integrity of the Scriptures through that process. While specific skills and experience are a major part of this role, what is most important to Wycliffe Associates, and to the Lord, is a person's heart. The person who fills this role should have a special calling from the Lord for ministry. In this role you will be considered a minister of the gospel. For such a high calling, our lives and values should reflect that pure and holy calling. As we are told in 1 Peter 1: 15-16, But just as He who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do, for it is written: Be holy, because I am holy.
Our team is a group of Software Developers, DevOps engineers, Infrastructure Techs, and Support People, working at an aggressively growing non-profit that is helping to make the Bible available to everyone, everywhere. God has blessed us with the resources to pay for high performance team-members. You can learn more about our organization at http://wycliffeassociates.org/. This is the kind of place that rewards intensity, ambition, drive, and creativity.
The job you'll do
You'll be a software developer, working with the team to create solutions that serve the global Christian church. You’ll primarily be building software tools for Bible translation to be used by translators in the field. You'll find yourself in a fast moving river of existing projects, plus have the opportunity to help create new tools and systems for Bible translators. You’ll be responsible to understand the needs of our users, then work alongside your teammates to learn modern software languages, framework, and approaches to meet those needs. You'll be mentored by experienced software engineers with a heart for ministry. You'll not only be making software, but you'll also be making a difference in the lives of people all over the world.
What we'll do for you
We’ll give the opportunity to learn a lot, build meaningful software with an amazing team, and make a difference in the process.
- Paid education and training
- Paid certification attempts (whether you pass or fail)
- Two weeks paid vacation (to start), plus a bunch of paid holidays
- Health Insurance for you and your family
- 1 Paid conference per year
Position Summary: The ideal candidate wants to work in a fast-paced, results oriented
organization, where focus on providing solid solutions is a must. Responsible for agile application
development within a team context. Candidate will be responsible for analyzing customer needs,
developing solutions, and implementing developed solutions. Position is primarily focused on external field translation tools and systems.
- In collaboration with the Director of Application Development, participate in developing software solutions to advance Bible Translation.
- Work with internal and external customers/users to identify, understand, and document their needs.
- Software programming: working with teammates and vendors to design, implement, test, and document custom solutions.
- Contribute creativity and energy to the task of accelerating Bible Translation.
Education, prior work experience, and/or specialized skills and knowledge:
- Strong brainstorming and creativity ability. Quickly understand new challenges and respond with possibilities and enthusiasm.
- At least 2 years’ experience developing applications using modern software development approaches.
- Experience with web development, including jQuery , Bootstrap, React, and Angular, including familiarity with HTML5 and CSS, a plus but not required.
- Experience with .NET development, especially in C#, a plus but not required.
- Experience with Java and Android Development, a plus but not required.
- Demonstrated capacity to quickly learn new systems, skills, languages, and programming environments.
- Experience with linguistics, Bible translation, or other relevant subject areas a plus but not required.
- Bachelor’s degree from accredited college strongly preferred. Priority given to applicants with computer science or other related degrees.
- Occasional over-night domestic and international travel possible (up to 2 weeks per year)
Have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
Should sense a call from God to ministry and have a genuine caring for people.
Should have personal warmth that invites confidence and possess a personal integrity that never forfeits the trust that is offered.
Ability to be at ease with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
Demonstration of the attitudes of a servant leader.
Ability to delegate work to others.
Ability to facilitate and coordinate the work of others.
Highly self-motivated and directed.
Keen attention to detail.
Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written form.
Ability to work effectively with a virtual team.
Has reliable transportation and can keep commitments.
Ability and desire to learn new technologies, improve skills, and adapt to change.
Wycliffe Associates makes employment decisions in accordance with applicable federal and state employment laws and regulations. As a religious organization, we are entitled to make employment decisions on the basis of religious beliefs and practices of the applicant or employee.